Broadcom wireless on Unbuntu

I got a lot of headache when I had to reconfigure the wireless of my wife's laptop after installing xubuntu. My wife's laptop is a Dell Vostro 1000 with a Broadcom card (BCM4311). This is a issue because it is not supported out of the box. After a lot of trial and error (a lot of) I found the way of getting it work. Here below the commands:

open a shell box and digit:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get remove --purge bcmwl-kernel-source
sudo apt-get install linux-firmware-nonfree
sudo modprobe b43
sudo reboot
 
After these commands the pc should reboot and you should have your wireless up and running. Do not forget to check that the laptop hardware wireless is ON.

If it doesn't work... please do not shoot on the pianist!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Killing orphans and zombies

ZAMP a windows portable LAMP webserver

XPDF Segmentation fault (core dumped) SOLVED